Citizens Insurance has come out with a new inspection to verify the acceptability of existing roofs. As a licensed general contractor we are one of the few home inspection companies qualified to do these inspections.
All roofs must be in good condition with no damage or visible signs of leaks to be eligible for coverage with Citizens. In addition, specific age of roof requirements have been implemented. Roof eligibility does NOT apply to HW-4 and HW-6 policies. Please see the underwriting manuals for each line of business for complete details.
Age of Roof Requirements
Homes over 25 years old with a shingle roof, homes over 50 years old with any other type of roof and mobile homes over 25 years old must have the roof replaced to be eligible for coverage. To assist policyholders, Citizens has created a Roof Condition Certification Form (CIT RCF-1 1108) which may be used to certify the eligibility of the roof. Other acceptable documentation includes a copy of a completed roofing contract or an inspection completed by a licensed roofing contractor, which contains the required information, found on form (If you have any questions, please contact your for assistance.
EXCEPTION – At Least 3 Years of Remaining Useful Life
If the applicant/policyholder can provide proof demonstrating the roof has at least 3 years of remaining useful life (regardless of the actual age of the roof) the application may be submitted unbound with the appropriate roof documentation for consideration. The documentation may be either a properly executed Roof Condition Certification Form (CIT RCF-1 1108) or a statement/inspection from a licensed roofing contractor, which contains the required information found on form (CIT RCF-1 1108).
EXCEPTION – Intent to Comply
If the applicant/policyholder has already entered into a contract to have the roof replaced, the application may be submitted unbound with the following documentation:
- Signed contract from a licensed roofing contractor stating that the roof will be replaced within 60 days of the requested effective date
- Photos of each roof slope which adequately represent the current roof condition (at roof level and in addition to the required dwelling photos)
- Signed Roof Replacement Acknowledgement (CIT RRA-1) form indicating that if the roof is not replaced within 60 days of the requested effective date, the policy will be cancelled and the application may not be resubmitted until the full roof replacement has been made.
The effective date will be determined once all documentation has been received. Once the roof replacement is completed, you must submit:
- A “paid-in-full” receipt from roofer stating that the roof was replaced
- Photos of each slope (at roof level) and updated photos of the dwelling